The developing of the laboratory accredited concerning the tests refered to in the European regulations concerning the eco label
Coordinating institution: The National Research &Development Institute for Textiles and Leather (INCDTP), Bucharest, 16, Lucretiu Patrascanu str., District 3, tel. 021- 3404200, fax: 021-3405515, www.certex.ro, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
General Manager: Dr. Eng. Emilia Visileanu
Project Director: PhD student. Eng. Ana-Maria Mocioiu
The project had in view the developing of the INCDTP accredited laboratory, for the extending of the field of services meant for evaluating the conformity of the products and technologies of obtaining the textile products according to the European directives and regulations of granting the eco label. It was aimed at the elaborating of the methodologies of testing the substances that are harmful to the human health and the environment protection, resulted from new technologies and products that are characterized by a high added value.
The general objective: the developing of the accredited INCDTP laboratory so that it would ensure services of evaluating the textile product conformity according to the European directives and regulations of granting the eco label. Such complex tests need a performant apparatus and are not accomplished indigenously.
The elaborating of the methodologies of testing the substances that are harmful to the human health and the environment protection is targeted, being the result of new technologies and multifunctional products, taking advantage from the competence of the INCDTP staff and endowment.
The specific objectives of the project are:
- the extending of the accrediting domain of the accredited INCDTP laboratory with the tests needed for granting the eco label for the textile materials, in accordance with the stipulations of the European directives meant for ecolabeling. The testing methods that will be elaborated and accredited as part of the project are:
o the heavy metal content ascertaining;
o the formaldehyde emission ascertaining;
o the pentachlorophenol content ascertaining;
- the endowing of the INCDTP accredited laboratory with the apparatus needed for the implemented methods;
- the informing of the producers, Romanian exporters, with regard to the requirements of the eco label that are imposed by the European market;
- the developing of the long-term strategy of the Romanian textile industry concerning the increasing of the added value in the Romanian products;
- the training of the Romanian specialists in the field of evaluating the product conformity.
The project stages and the obtained significant results:
Stage I: The developing of the methods of ascertaining the formaldehyde emissions in accordance with the European ergulations of granting the eco label.
- the elaborating of the methodology of asceratining the free formaldehyde existing on the textile materials, by using an UV-VIS spectrophotometer;
- the elaborating of the specific laboratory procedure meant for determining the free formaldehyde according to the European standards in force ;
- method accrediting.2.
Stage II: The developing of the accredited laboratory service field in order to the ascertain the heavy metals existing on the textile materials.
- the elaborating of the methodology of ascertaining the heavy metals existing on the textile materials, by using the Varian 880 AA atomic absorbtion spectrometer;
- the elaborating of the specific working procedure meant for ascertaining the heavy metals existing on the textile material;
- accrediting method.
Stage III The evaluation of the laboratory quality system
III.1. The elaborating of the methodology of gas chromatograph identifying the pentachlorophenol on the textile materials.
- the elaborating of the methodology of ascertaining the pentachlorophenol from the textile materials;
- the elaborating of the specific laboratory procedure of ascertaining the pentachlorophenol from the textile materials by way of the gas chromatography .
- accrediting method.
- CD accomplishing with the European ecologic requirements and a brief presentation of the most important eco labels..
Stage IV Result dissemination
The presentation in a scientific manner of the European regulation requirements with regard to the textile products.
At the „TINIMTEX” national conference from Mamaia, the requirements of the Ecologic Label, the analyses that can be carried out by the INCDTP accredited laboratories were presented.
- The Euratex meeting -expert for TEG9, “The evaluating of the textile product life cycle !”; Brussels, Belgium
- The international conference ITC&DC 2006 ”3rd International Textile, Clothing and Design Conference- Magic World of Textiles” Croatia- Dubrovnik
The beneficiaries of this project:
- the texile producers who will have the possibility to evaluate their own performances according to the European eco-labeling requirements, to improve the quality of their own products, to promote and be competitive on the European market. The SMEs will especially benefit from the tests done indigenously on the eco-labeled products, as, in other countries, the costs are much higher (a situation in which adequate specialty consultancy is not given) and necessary for the promoting and maintaining on the European market.
- the authorities of evaluating the product conformity (inspecting and product certifying bodies), authorities of market surveying (consumer protection organisations, customs).
Romania created the legislative framework that is adequate for taking up the Directives and the European regulations of applying the eco label, but the infrastructure that is needed for their implementing does not exist, and this is the reason for proposing this project.