Enzymatic Finishing and The Effects on Cellulosic
Programme: PNCDI II - Capacitati - Module III
Project type: Bilateral Cooperation Project between Romania – Turkey
Project duration :18 month (August 2008 – November 2009)
The Research – Development National Institute for Textile and Leather, Bucharest, Romania
16 Lucretiu Patrascanu St., Sector 3, postal code 030508, Bucharest, tel: +40-021-3404928, fax: +40021-3405515,
Romanian Project Manager: Drd. eng. Alina Popescu, Head of Textile Chemical Processing & Environment Protection Department
Ege University, Engineering Faculty, Textile Engineering Department, Izmir, Turkey
Ege University, Engineering Faculty, Textile Engineering Department
Bornova-Izmir, Turkey, tel: +90-232-3884000/2777,
fax: +90-232-3399222, e-mail: email@example.com
Turkish Project Manager: Dr. Ing. Aysegul Ekmekci Korlu
Contractant Authority: National Authority for Scientific Research - ANCS, cu sediul în Bucuresti, str. Mendeleev nr. 21-25, sector 1, cod postal 010362, telefon / fax: (021).318.30.67, http://www.mct.ro
General objective: substituting the chemical treating technologies for the textile materials of cellulosic fibers with biotechnologies, of replacing chemical products with toxic activity over environment by bio-products (enzyme products)
• study regarding the progress on global level in the field of biotechnologies in textile processing;
• elaborating of technological schemes and plans for new enzyme products treating of textile materials of cellulosic fibers, in successive or cumulated phases, as alternatives to the classical processing treatments;
• selection of enzymatic systems in the preliminary preparatory processes of cellulosic materials and in the final stage of finishing;
• experiments in lab scale/ pilot scale to emphasize the optimal treating conditions that will assure the adequate techno-qualitative performances for the treated materials;
• study of specific analytical methods for textile materials treated with different enzymatic systems;
• establishment of techno-qualitative performances and of induced effects on the treated textile materials for each type of enzymatic product / technological variant, using physical-chemical, physical-mechanical analyses and color measurements;
• ascertaining the qualitative indices of wastewater coming from biotechnological processes, compared with classical finishing processes (COD, BOD, etc.);
• presentation and demonstration of the biotechnologies functionality and utility for promotion purposes to SME and large textile companies.
Estimated results for being obtained:
• promoting the biotechnologies in textile industries of both collaborating countries;
• reduction of wastewater pollution in textile industry;
• cost reduction for wastewater treatments;
• reduction of water and energy consumption;
• decrease of ecological parameters in wastewater (COD, BOD, total slurry);
• possible collaboration in European projects.
Accomplishing of executions phases:
1. The selecting of the enzymatic systems and of the processes for finishing the cellulose fibre textile materials;
2. The investigating of the catalytic action of the selected enzymes over the cellulose fibres;
3. The investigating of the impact of the enzymatic processes over the technical – qualitative characteristics of the cellulose fibre textile materials. The investigating of the synergetic action of the enzymatic systems and possible combinations of enzyme treatments.
Accomplishing of activities planned in the project implementation plan:
1. The elaborating of the plans and technologic schemes for treating the cellulose fibre textile materials;
2. Laboratory experiments with the selected enzymatic systems. The study of the specific analysis methods;
3. The analyzing of the performances of the biotechnologies experimented by specific laboratory analyses;
4. Laboratory experiments meant for one – stage finishing the textile materials by using enzymes having different specificity.
Activities foresaw in research programme of young researcher employer:
1. Study of the methods for determining of enzymatic activity (celulase, catalase, pectinase);
2. Study of the specific analyze methods of textile materials treated with different enzymatic systems.
Mobility actions: work visits of the specialists in Turkey and in Romania.